Old February 18th 04, 06:56 AM
Gray Shockley

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 23:25:16 -0600, Jason wrote
(in message ):

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help. I have a DX 398 and just picked up an external
antenna and AM reception is worse with the antenna plugged into the external
antenna jack. How could this be ? Even on local AM stations the reception
almost disappears, why would this happen ? I am in a spot where AM
reception is really bad but shouldn't it improve with the external antenna,
not get worse.

If any one could help I would appreciate it.

thanks.

Jason

This is the skinny:

The tip goes to the antenna terminal and the sleeve goes to ground, just as
you would expect in this unbalanced antenna input. Shortwave signals are
routed from the external antenna jack when a connector is plugged in.

The ring--the terminal in the middle of the plug--has a special purpose. When
you ground it, medium wave signals are also routed from the external jack
instead of the radio's internal loopstick. This is why some people have
reported poor MW reception when they use regular 1/8" mono patch cables to
connect their antennas.

But for medium wave DXers, this is an opportunity to connect their favorite
antennas to the radio; the lack of a good MW antenna connection has made some
otherwise good radios less than desirable.

If you prefer to use the internal loopstick for MW, simply leave the ring of
the plug unconnected.

And the URL for this is:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze20h45/radio/sangean/909tech.html#extant

Whole thing very much worth reading.