Old February 19th 04, 08:31 PM
Mark S. Holden

DEE wrote:

Ok, I've got enought for either the R75 or the Sat800. They're
both about the same price. I'm not too concerned about portability
but looking for a great all around box for the money.

Personally, in that price range, I'd go with a used Drake R8.

Of the two you mentioned, the Sat 800 is likely to be better than the R75 for program listening - but the large number of refurb sat 800's on the market leads me to feel they still have quality control issues. If you go for a Sat 800 - you're probably
better off with a refurb - it'll cost you less, and presumably someone has gone over it to fix flaws.

The R75 is likely to be better than the Sat 800 for utility use. The sync detector doesn't work very well. Other than the design flaws, they seem to be well made.

Otherwise the R75 is a good choice if you like to tinker. Several hobbyists have discovered inexpensive ways to fix the engineering goofs. Now if only Icom would decide to incorporate these fixes into future production...