Old February 21st 04, 09:19 AM
FrankM

I have both, which I bought as novice, a couple of years ago (and
overzealously added BC 780 (scanner), and Sony 7800 GR (portable)...

I agree with Tony M's answer precisely...BUT, if I could only have one,
it would be the R-75. Each works great, but I believe it's due
to working until you get the antenna(e) right, which IMHO is
the trick to making this stuff work , )

Relax, have fun, enjoy and don't worry about the "right"
decision - either way you'll be okay. You simply can't get it "all" up
front 'cause there's so much to learn and it takes time to zero in on
what you like ('kinda like a boat - otherwise you'd hold out 'till you
could buy a yacht , )

BTW, I would be happy to sell any or all of the above, as I'm
ready to move up to a single specialized pro receiver to fit my
preferred listening style, e.g the ICOM 8500, or NRD 545, et al.
(plus, I only use each of the above for special interest; 'still have
boxes, manuals, etc. each is mint)!

In article ,
Tony Meloche wrote:

DEE wrote:

Ok, I've got enought for either the R75 or the Sat800. They're
both about the same price. I'm not too concerned about portability
but looking for a great all around box for the money.

Sound: If you listen mostly with headphones, either is great. If
you like to listen mostly with speakers, the "as-it-comes" sound of the
Grundig is great. The Icom's built-in speaker is of afterthought
quality, but any external speaker works well with it.

If you like listening to mainstream broadcast SW, you'd be perfectly
happy with the Grundig. If you like best-possible reception abilities
with a good antenna, (serious DX) the Icom comes out well ahead. If you
like to do a lot of CW/RTTY listeningk the Icom gets the nod, but if you
are a really SERIOUS CW/RTTY person, you'd need some additional filters
for the Icom for best performance.

Tony

News==----
Newsgroups