Old February 22nd 04, 01:14 AM
Love2camp5

Thanks, Jay, for the info.

The stock 909 is not going to give you "room-filling" sound. I have one
and generally like it, but the sound is rather lacking if you're more
than a few feet away from the radio or there is significant background
noise in the room.

That would be a problem, then. While I realize that no portable radio is going
to really full and great at the other end of the room, I don't want to strain
to hear it. The sad thing is that my Yacht Boy 400 is great on the FM band; if
the MW sounded anything like that I'd be thrilled.

The sound on the S350 is comparable to the CCR, with maybe a bit better
fidelity. On weak signals I find the volume to be a bit on the low
side. Turning the volume way up doesn't provide booming sound on the
weak stations. I've run mine only from rechargeable batteries; it could
be it sounds better run from the mains.

So you have the S350? Have you read its review in the new Passport to World
Band Radio? Being a novice, I bought a copy of that book recently. It has a
really lengthy review, and talks quite a bit about drift. I'm starting to
wonder, though, if that radio would best meet my needs. What's this I read
about the "on" button only allowing the radio to stay on for 90 minutes???

The Grundig Satellit 800 would be a blast - but it's out of my budget.

Thanks-
Linda