Old February 22nd 04, 06:44 AM
Frank Dresser

"Tony Meloche" wrote in message

Frank Dresser wrote:

"Fred" wrote in message
news
Yes, it is a nice looking Hallicrafters SX-100, but these are

pretty
common. Why are people paying this much for a very common radion.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=46 73

Confused

This was an expensive radio when new. Probably about $300.

According
to the Bureau of Labor Statistics' inflation calculator at:

http://www.bls.gov/cpi/

That $300 1957 cost is like $1977 today. That certainly doesn't mean

the
radio is really worth almost 2 grand, but it does indicate that

owning a
nice SX-100 is less of a sacrifice than it was 47 years ago.

I have no doubt the high bidder bought the radio to show it off.

Doing
a really nice fixup on a radio can take hours and hours of labor.

And
it may never look quite original to a sharp observer.

I wouldn't pay that much. But I like to fix up old radios, and I

can
sure understand somebody paying extra for a nice one, instead of

trying
to make a nice one out of a cheap one.

Frank Dresser

I can relate to this. My first SW capable radio was a 1937

Zenith -
a console with "Magic Eye", all band reception, etc. I wouldn't mind
one bit having that radio back today if I could get it back with a
complete cap job, all new tubes, realignment, etc. Regardless of
antenna, it couldn't match a modern high-end
SW reciever, but it would still be fun - the thing reeked of the
"romance" of SW listening back at that time in history.

Tony

News==----
100,000 Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via

Encryption =---