Old February 22nd 04, 04:03 PM
Frank Dresser

"Maximus" wrote in message
ink.net...
I saw a reference to this and wondered what it was. Below is a link I

found
using Google:

http://www.ibiquity.com/technology/index.htm

I can't see how it will do anything but cause serious problems for
shortwave, let alone AM.

There hasn't been any push to use IBOC on shortwave. It's been designed
for domestic AM and FM broadcasters. There's a different non-compatible
digital standard for shortwave called DRM.

I don't fancy having to replace any radios I have.

IBOC is sorta compatible with standard AM broadcasting. The standard AM
channel is still there, with additional channels of digital modulation
just above and below the standard channel. Unfortunately, the fidelity
of the standard channel must be reduced, and the digital channels can
cause severe interference with adjacent channels. IBOC isn't compatible
with DXing stations close in frequency to an IBOC station, and buying
another radio won't help.

Since people already have cell phones capable of sending and receiving
email, pictures and news, it would seem redundant. What would make

people
want this over their existing cell phones ?

Even the "journalists" who do little more than reword corporate press
handouts aren't showing much enthusisiam for IBOC broadcasting to cell
phones. Anyway, I'd expect the IBOC cell phone broadcasters will be
trying FM band transmitters rather than AM band transmitters.

There are claims that there is a great unfilled demand for slow text and
low-res graphics and pictures on our radios and, by golly, the IBOC folk
will step up to the plate and fufill that demand. Imagine that!
Pictures on the radio. What will they think of next?

Frank Dresser