Old February 22nd 04, 09:06 PM
Frank Dresser

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

400 MHz is a bit of an exaggeration. BPL will cause considerable
interference up to it's limit of 75MHz, and may cause some harmonic
interference above that (it IS square wave after all, and high in

harmonic
content).

Oh, I know. I've done my fair share of usenet posts on the BPL topic.
The original poster makes a very good point, though. It is easy to
research.

It won't (or shouldn't) affect the AMBCB, since it is supposed to

start at
1.8 MHz. However, there have been several tests performed by hams and

some
labs (see the ARRL website www.arrl.org), and several countries have

already
banned BPL because of extreme interference to other services,

including HF
broadcast and amateur radio services. I don't remember the exact

numbers,
but basically if you are within 30 feet of a BPL line, you will

receive in
excess of S9 (some tests have shown 30 dB over S9) of interference.

I really doubt BPL will have any noticable effects on AM/FM/TV
reception. After all, the networks haven't used any of their
considerable clout in Washington in the BPL fight. I suspect consumer
electronics will be most subject to any BPL effects throught the power
cord and not the antenna terminals. If this has been a problem in the
test areas, I'm not aware of it.

But I wonder if BPL will work as promised and if it will be a good deal
for the consumers. Power lines are an awfully primitave way to deliver
high speed access, and I can imgaine alot of problems. If BPL doesn't
work out, the utilities might have to fall back on BWP (Broadband over
Water Pipes).

Frank Dresser