Old February 25th 04, 01:58 AM
Mike W

I can attest to the fact that this radio is a "sleeper". You can't find
anything even close for $68.00. I can not get over the sheer number of
stations I can pull in with just the whip. This is what a portable should
be. I have owned several of the brands, and this is defintely the best
price/performance ratio I have seen. I don't even miss having a sync
detector on this radio. Yeah, its small (around the size of a Sangean 606),
so don't expect big sound but its not bad on the speaker either.

"T. Early" wrote in message

"Corbin Ray" wrote in message
Quick update on my 1102...

The SSB works very nicely. Of course I had to get out the manual to

figure
out how to work it, but it works well.

I'm blown away by how much I'm getting on shortwave. It's like I've
discovered a new band tonight.

The speaker is really nice to listen to. It's not nearly as tinny as

the
Sony 7600gr. But I thought I'd try a nice set of Koss headphones,

and wow!
It sounds incredible on all bands, and FM with the bass boost is

about as
good as it gets. In a comparison between my DX-398 with headphones

and the
Degen with headphones, the Degen's wins hands down.

At this present time, I would put my Degen 1102 into the exact same

level as
the Sangean 909, Grundig YB400, and Sony IC-SW7600GR. All have their

unique
strengths and weakneses. But I was able to get my 1102 delivered to

my door
for $68! So that puts the Degen in a class by itself.

As something of a DX-398 buff, I have to ask where you think the
compromises are in the Degan? Or is it that rare product that really
does transcend its cost? You make it sound very interesting and my
finger has been twitching towards eBay! At that price, its SAF
(spousal acceptance factor) is a non-issue too.