Old February 25th 04, 03:33 AM

On 2004-02-19 said:
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Joe Blow wrote:
I finally took the plunge and shelled out $60 for a
Sangean DT-200V after reading so many glowing reviews
about it.

----SNIP----
Why do people rave so highly about this portable radio? While I
think it's a good one overall, it is definitely overpriced...it's
about a $30 radio to my mind, considering the *lousy* user

interface.
JB

I'm always amazed at the level of sophistication that is expected
out of a radio in this price range.
It 'is' a portable after all.
Steve

Yep, it is a small shirt-pocket-sized portable. The most sophistocated user
interface they could have chosen for that radio would be a two-position band
selector, one position for FM and one for AM. They might even have four
positions, adding FM stereo, and maybe even AM stereo. Stations would be
tuned by a nice easily-turned knob, like on the old Sony SRF-42 FM
stereo/AM/AM stereo model. You're right, Steve, I do expect a certain level
of sophistocation in a small portable, especially given how cheaply they can
be made in China these days.