Old February 25th 04, 04:33 AM
Corbin Ray

I'm still enjoying my new little friend.

You have to understand what I am about. I was born in 1958 here in Kentucky.
I grew up listening to local radio until 1972 when a friend introduced me to
nighttime radio (WLS, WOWO, WCFL, WAKY, WLAC...) and my whole world changed.
The radio became a magical place where I could get away from the doldrums of
the boring stuff around me and escape to wherever those magical voices were.
I imagined myself being in everyone of those places. Our internet today was
like my radio then, but my radio had better pictures. Of course, my first
job was as a DJ at a local station. I worked in radio many years, eventually
managing a group of top-rated stations. I'm now out of the radio business,
but I can never get radio out of me. When I go to bed at night, I cuddle
with my radio (my wife cuddles with a TV, but that's another story). And if
conditions permit, I tune my radio around the AM band just like I did 30
years ago. To me, the perfect radio has nothing sticking out of it. I have
owned expensive desktop radios, but they have to be plugged into the wall
and to a bunch of antennas. I even had a computer-controlled radio. That was
even worse. Listening to radio through my computer made no sense at all.
It's no different than listening to a real audio stream. No thanks. A
wireless radio was sufficient for me in 1972, and a wireless radio is
sufficient for me today. And sometimes late at night, when I hear the
announcer on WLS say that the outbound Dan Ryan is 15 minutes to O'Hare,
then I feel like I'm 14 again, and the magic of radio is still in me.