Old February 26th 04, 02:17 PM
Incognito

Linda -- The Radio Regulations of the International Telecommunications Union
(ITU) define the shortwave broadcast bands.
These can be seen at URL:
http://www.hamuniverse.com/swguide.html

Includes the the WARC-92 agreements and broadcast band expansions used on a
non-interfering basis.

For the antenna extension -- you can use any type of wire. I prefer standard
lamp cord -- just zip apart the two wires and use one of them for the
extension -- no need to strip the entire wire. Just strip off a half inch of
insulation or so to attach to the alligator clip.

Reason I like lamp cord is it has stranded wire -- very flexible and doesn't
get all tangled into knots -- rolls up easily for storage. No need to get
the larger gauge -- small gauge lamp cord will work fine -- Number 18 AWG
or smaller. Wire gauge sizes at URL:
http://home.mchsi.com/~gweidner/extension-cords.pdf

--
Incognito By Necessity (:-(

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
- - -Harry S Truman

"Love2camp5" wrote in message
Please forgive me if these questions seem way too easy...but I'm a newbie

at
SWLing...

I noticed in the owner's book for my Grundig YB400PE there is a list of

bands
and the frequencies contained in those bands.

In the manual for the Sangean 818, there is a different listing of bands

with
some varying frequencies.

Is there some "standard, official" listing of the various SW bands and

their
frequencies, or is this something left up to each manufacturer???

Secondly, I read somewhere on how to make a very basic wire antenna

extension
for the whip antenna on the radio, using alligator clips. Could someone

just
tell me what type of wire to use, where/whether it should be stripped,

etc.

Thanks for your patience.

Linda
Pennsylvania