Old February 26th 04, 04:12 PM
Diverd4777

Hi Linda:
I agree with everyone, but ..
IF you really love to camp, you have unlimited space for lonnnng beverage type
antennas.
- Just take a spool of Radio Shack insulated, stranded wire & unreel 100 feet
in a convenient direction..
THEN
Hook one end ou to your SWR,
Turn it on & Voila !!
MANY MANY stations...

You might also get " Passport To Worldband Radio"
That has frequencies galore listed in it.
& You'll be surprised at what you can pick up off the whip once you're away
from Civilization..

But Wait!! Theres More ! !

If you get up with the dawn, whilst firing up your small camping stove to make
Coffee,
you can pick up all sorts of AM Stations wavering off in the distance.. really
neat stuff you can do whilst camping / Out in the RF Free country

- So enjoy !

Dan

In article . net, "Sanjaya"
writes:

You might consider getting a portable "reel" antenna.
23 ft, plugs into the radio or attaches to the whip.
A clip at the far end can be used to attach it to a window
frame, etc.
Sangean ANT-60
$12.95 plus shipping at
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3184.html
(possibly slow to ship, people have different experiences buying from
Universal. I've had good service from them)
$14.99 plus shipping at http://www.amazon.com
(ships fast, but last year it was about $13.50 there)
This type antenna improves weaker stations to some
degree, and it's tremedously handy for travelling.
There are tons of antenna ideas you can make for yourself.
And I have a feeling you're about to see quite a few posted
here : )

"Love2camp5" wrote in message
Please forgive me if these questions seem way too easy...but I'm a newbie

at
SWLing...

I noticed in the owner's book for my Grundig YB400PE there is a list of

bands
and the frequencies contained in those bands.

In the manual for the Sangean 818, there is a different listing of bands

with
some varying frequencies.

Is there some "standard, official" listing of the various SW bands and

their
frequencies, or is this something left up to each manufacturer???

Secondly, I read somewhere on how to make a very basic wire antenna

extension
for the whip antenna on the radio, using alligator clips. Could someone

just
tell me what type of wire to use, where/whether it should be stripped, etc.

Thanks for your patience.

Linda
Pennsylvania