Old February 27th 04, 04:29 AM
Maximus

Whatever works best for you should be what you use S. I think a long wire
would need to be matched, but the adavantage would show up in less noise and
fewer images etc. A dipole tuned to the bands you most monitor has the same
advantages. In some areas, a long wire may fetch more signal, but it also
gathers more noise. I guess the best thing to say is that each kind of
antenna has advantages, and some may be more advantageous than others in
relation to the receiver.

Strength and Honor
"John" wrote in message
om...
Need a little help here.

I've been using a G5RV for a number of years for my receivers and it
does a very good job. But I notice that many folks here seem to prefer
a long wire. Is there much difference between a long wire compared to
a G5RV or dipole? And if using a long wi wouldn't a long wire need
to be electrically matched to the receiver? Or, by using a G5RV, am I
essentially using 1/2 of the antenna as a long wire (the center
portion of the antenna jack on the receiver so to speak). Is one
antenna really that much better than the other? As I said, I've been
using a G5RV for quite a long time and I feel I can pick up just about
the same things other folks do; so I don't believe changing to a long
wire would dramatically improve my reception. But then again, I might
be wrong. Any help would be appreciated in understanding the
difference between the antennas a bit better -- if there is any.

John