Old February 27th 04, 12:18 PM
RHF

JD,

The G5RV is a good Antenna and an Off-Shoot of the common Dipole.

ALL TRANSMITTING THEORY ASIDE:
* For SWLs think of the G5RV as a Dual Opposing Inverted "L" Antenna
with common mode vertical (dual element) Leg.
- Here the G5RV is more Omni-Directional.
* For SWLs some specific Frequencies the Top Arms of the G5RV
Antenna function like a Dipole that is 'cut' for that Band or Bands.
- Here the G5RV is very 'directional' Dipole.

Some G5RV WebSite Links:
* G5RV Multi-Band Antenna - by Louis Varney [G5RV]
http://www.qsl.net/aa3px/g5rv.htm
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/qsl-g5rv.htm
http://personal.brunnet.net/markf/g5rv-etc.html

* G5RV Antennas - by Gaylen Pearson [WBØW]
http://www.wb0w.com/g5rv/g5rv_antennas.htm
* G5RV Plus - by RadioWorks
http://www.radioworks.com/cg5rv.html
(Using a 1:1 Balun and Line Isolator)
* G5RV Antenna Radiation and SWR Scans - by Art Unwin [KB9MZ]
http://www.roadkill.com/~unwin/G5RV.html
http://www.roadkill.com/~unwin/gr/
* G5RV Antenna by Keith [WB2VOU]
http://www.g3ycc.karoo.net/g5rv.htm
* The G5RV Antenna System Re-Visited - by L. B. Cebik [W4RNL]
Part 1: The G5RV on 20 Meters http://www.cebik.com/g5rv.html
Part 2: The G5RV on All HF Bands http://www.cebik.com/g5rv2.html

THE LONGWIRE ANTENNA FOR SWLs:
The commonly called 'LongWire' Antenna is actually a "Random Wire"
Antenna that is used by Shortwave Listener's. The most 'common'
form of the Random Wire Antenna used by SWLs is the Inverted
"L" Antenna. This Inverted "L" Antenna Configuration lends
itself to the Low Noise Antenna design that was popularized
by John Doty.

Inverted "L' Antenna Reading List
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/374

"LOW NOISE SWL ANTENNA" - by Mark Connelly [WA1ION]
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/119
"Another Look at Noise-Reducing Antenna Systems"

Inverted "L" Antenna as an 'available space' SWL Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...nna/message/54

"LOW NOISE SWL ANTENNA" - popularized by John Doty.
..
..
REMEMBER: "The Shortwave Antenna is 55.5% of the . . .
Radio/Receiver and Antenna/Ground Reception Equation"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/288
A Shortwave Antenna is "Equally" Important for Good Reception [.]
..
..
iane ~ RHF
..
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night...
You Can Hear Forever and beyond, The Beyond !
..
= = = (John)
= = = wrote in message . com...

Need a little help here.

I've been using a G5RV for a number of years for my receivers
and it does a very good job. But I notice that many folks here
seem to prefer a long wire. Is there much difference between a
long wire compared to a G5RV or dipole? And if using a long wi
wouldn't a long wire need to be electrically matched to the
receiver?

Or, by using a G5RV, am I essentially using 1/2 of the antenna
as a long wire (the center portion of the antenna jack on the
receiver so to speak). Is one antenna really that much better
than the other?

As I said, I've been using a G5RV for quite a long time and
I feel I can pick up just about the same things other folks do;
so I don't believe changing to a long wire would dramatically
improve my reception. But then again, I might be wrong.

Any help would be appreciated in understanding the difference
between the antennas a bit better -- if there is any.

John

..