Old February 27th 04, 12:45 PM
Love2camp5

Thanks to all of you for the terrific replies!

I'll reply to them all here in one post:

1) I do already have the PASSPORT book; but it really didn't answer these two
questions. A great programming guide and product reveiewer nonetheless.

2) Yes, we do LOVE to camp! In fact we are campground hosts at a state park,
and get to stay there for 4 weeks at a time. But the coffeemaker is
inside...we have a "hybrid travel trailer" 1/2 popup, 1/2 trailer. But I
still love those campfires.

3) The Grundig YB400 that I will now be selling came with a reel-type antenna.
It never did a thing - I could plug it in, extend it, and never tell a
difference. I think I'll go with the wire-clippy kind.

4) Thanks for the link to the hamuniverse web site- what a great web site! I
printed up the list of "official" bands and I think I understand it better now.

Just received my Sangean ATS818ACS yesterday. I got it from Amazon.com for
$189.00 w/free shipping. The sound is better than the YB, and there is
definitely more volume which I needed. I only need to turn the volume to
less-than-the-halfway point and it's more than loud enough, with very good
sound. The FM band on the YB sounded great, but I wasn't satisfied with the
rest.

I'll have to figure out how to use the SSB on the radio. There is also a know
for gain control - what is that actually controlling??? I notice too that
there is NO DX/local switch like there is on the YB. Much nicer display and
light (the light on the YB is almost useless).

The AM ("MW") reception is probably the same as the YB, but the annoying hum I
had in the YB is gone! Yippee!!!

I really think this was the radio for me...now I will be finding a new home for
the YB.

Thanks-Linda