Old February 27th 04, 10:15 PM
John

(RHF) wrote in message . com...
JD,

The G5RV is a good Antenna and an Off-Shoot of the common Dipole.

ALL TRANSMITTING THEORY ASIDE:
* For SWLs think of the G5RV as a Dual Opposing Inverted "L" Antenna
with common mode vertical (dual element) Leg.
- Here the G5RV is more Omni-Directional.
* For SWLs some specific Frequencies the Top Arms of the G5RV
Antenna function like a Dipole that is 'cut' for that Band or Bands.
- Here the G5RV is very 'directional' Dipole.

Thanks for all the responses so far. Yeah, that "dual opposing
inverted L" seems to make a lot of sense. And it is low noise. As for
directional properties: I don't seem to notice any. Maybe I haven't
bothered to experiment enough; but I've noticed that I seem to receive
stations on a par with reception reports I've read here and other
places. As for the top arms being "cut" for certain bands; again,
maybe I haven't experienced all, but I seem to get all I can get on
any band just as everyone else does. Anyways, those are just my
observations. I have always been happy with the G5RV. Some day I'll
need to get a bit more motivated and stretch out a really long wire
and see what difference it makes at my location.

Again...thanks to all the replies received.

John