Old February 29th 04, 02:20 PM
tom Holden

"Maximus" wrote
I am glad you have something that actually has good sound. That makes it all
worthwhile. My DX 394 does not have good sound S. I run the sound to some
stereo speakers I salvaged from a boombox that quit working - the speakers
still work fine.

If you are handy with a soldering iron (or have a friend who is), you
can make major improvements in the sound quality of the DX-394 with
the following mods found at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RADIOSHACKDX394/ :
1. AGC mod for slower release speed - really cleans up distortion on
AM stations with heavy bass modulation
2. Mod to defeat the Automatic Noise Limiter - ANL is permanently in
circuit and distorts on heavy amplitude modulation (90 - 95%
modulation)
3. Extended bass mod - increases size of output coupling capacitor for
better bass response.

There are around 50 other mods described on the site -plenty to keep
you busy and rewarded with a small investment in parts. ;-)

73, Tom