Old February 29th 04, 11:00 PM
Jim B

Default LongWire Antenna

"Jim Douglas" wrote in message
news:eEt0c.442873$na.1062671@attbi_s04...
I have a long wire antenna that goes in somewhat of a C shape around the
fence in the backyard. I was wondering how others are physically

connecting
these types of antennas to their radio? Do you use a balun? I have a
Grundig Satellit 800, which physical input connection do you use?

I upgraded from the DX398 to the Satellit 800 in December and have been
somewhat disappointed in the reception.
I will monitor this group and when someone posts a pirate on 6925 or
whatever frequency I will tune and find a lot of N O T H I N G?

I am in the Dallas area and for example WWV on the best frequency is

rarely
about S1? Any ideas or suggestions are welcome and thanks!

Jim Douglas
http:\\www.genesis-software.com

Latitude 32.5818
Longitude -96.5412
Elevation 497

Hi Jim

I've been able to get the pirates, the Coast Guard drama last night, and
other things mentioned on this newsgroup with my Satellit 800 here in
Gloucester, Massachusetts. I understand that the further west you are the
more difficult it may be.

I usually only use the whip on the 800. If I need to reach out a little more
I have 50' of insulated wire with an alligator clip on the end. I just put
the clip on the whip and toss the wire haphazardly about the room in winter
or toss it out the window in the summer. With this setup I can pull in more
than enough signals to keep me busy.

Hood luck,
Jim Barber
42°38'57"N