Old March 3rd 04, 04:15 AM
Brian Denley

Reception is better tonite. It has nothing to do with weather or clouds but
with the ionization of the upper atmosphere by energy from the sun. The
sun's output changes all the time with solar flares, etc. This has a direct
bearing on the reception conditions. You can get numerical information on
solar activity daily as use it to calculate key reception parameters such as
MUF and LUF. Reception is also typically better in th evenings when the sun
goes down as the ionsphere layers near the earth collapse into one larger
layer higher up, allowing the radio waves to 'bounce' farther around the
curvature of the earth. See
http://hfradio.org/propagation_page2.html#general and
http://dx.qsl.net/propagation/propagation.html

--
Brian Denley

"@(none)" ""richard\"@(none)" wrote in message
Wow, getting good reception tonight on my 7600GR up here in Toronto, the
usual fading in and out of some stations is gone, nothing but clear
signal. I pretty new to this, does this have to do with the weather?
Clouds or no clouds? Its pretty cloudy tonight here.