Old March 3rd 04, 10:31 AM
Brenda Ann

"Mark Keith" wrote in message
om...
"@(none)" ""richard\"@(none)" wrote in message

Wow, getting good reception tonight on my 7600GR up here in Toronto, the
usual fading in and out of some stations is gone, nothing but clear
signal. I pretty new to this, does this have to do with the weather?
Clouds or no clouds? Its pretty cloudy tonight here.

Nope. The wx has no real effect on HF or MW skywave. Very little on
ground wave for that matter except for maybe local quirks on the upper
HF bands. Wx does effect the VHF and UHF bands quite a bit with
ducting and the like. If you ever watch DX TV, or FM radio, this is
usually tropo ducting. Can happen any time of year, but spring and
summer usually the best. Not related to sporadic E, which is sky wave
off the ionosphere...You see E skip on 28-50 mhz a lot. Many six meter
openings are E. Many are also F layer too though in good band cdx...
MK

I've had weather (particularly cold, snowy weather) affect groundwave
greatly... especially on the lower end of the AM band. I've managed to
receive what was KFXD (580 Boise/Nampa/Caldwell, ID (towers in Boise) on my
car radio in broad daylight in Astoria, Oregon during a heavy snowstorm that
stretched from the Oregon coast to the Rocky Mountains.. this was a near
local signal level.. During the same conditions several years later, I was
able to receive, on the inside of a concrete building, on a GE SRII, what
was then KGW (620 Portland) at Dworshak Reservoir near Orofino, ID..