Old March 3rd 04, 07:34 PM
N8KDV

William Mutch wrote:

In article u, wcm1
@NOSPAM.cornell.edu says...
I'd previously
not been able to receive anything but a couple of local aero beacons on
longwave, nor anything but the Christian megawatt at 3200 on the 90
meter band. I didn't care much about the longwave since the very useful
aviation weather Elmira NY on 385 khz was replaced by better service on
162.40 Mhz vhf.
Last week, just for fun I made a Hi-Q parallel resonant tank for
longwave from a 385 pf variable cap and a 3.850 mh inductor. (82 turns
#24 awg wire on a 1.3" audio toroid core) This tunes 520 khz down to 170
khz with a pronounced peak. I coupled it very loosely (2 1/2 turns) to
the coax near the RCVR and was astounded at the difference in reception.
Around 0500Z I logged 15 different aero beacons at between 260 and 420
khz ! The tuned circuit didn't bring the signal levels up...it took
the noise floor DOWN !

Has anyone bookmarked the longwave site whcih gives freq's, calls
and locations? Just for curiousity I'd like to find out where some of
these beacons are.

PKA 260.9 YGK 263.4 IT (ithaca) 267.0
YQA 272.3 YPP 303.3 ZMX 317.3
CL 345.0 SB 362.2 YMW 366.4