Old July 9th 04, 12:37 AM
Tom Ring

Albert

I can't help on the V any more than others, such as Richard, are, but I
can give you another cheap alternative that is as easy to repoint as
your V, maybe easier. VE7BQH published a rope beam for EME a while ago.
It is as cheap as rope and the elements plus TyWraps cost. The only
downside I can see is making the match, but that's not really too tough,
and you have to match to the V anyway. It will also have more gain than
the V would for the same real estate.

http://www.bigskyspaces.com/w7gj/longyagi.htm

tom
K0TAR

Albert wrote:

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 19:14:03 -0500, Tom Ring
wrote:

Art

Which brand of EME is this for? If for one of the new digital modes,
you don't need that much gain, as you may already know. If it's for CW,
having a ton of gain in one direction only gives you a very seldom
available and very short window.

Thanks for the eme advice.

But, I was asking about the gain of a vee beam because they are cheap
to build and easy to put back up when the weather takes them out. We
have major ice storms often here.

Which "Brand of eme' is irreleveant, gain is gain regardless of which
mode is used. Excess gain is never wasted, it either makes the QSO
faster or allows one to work smaller stations or allows SSB instead of
CW/digital modes.

If the angle of the V makes little difference to the actaul gain, it
can be steered by moving either leg, which is also easy to do.

Although I can only work on my moon rise or moon set, more gain is
always better. Since I can't elevate my yagi, a non elevatable vee
beam for transmit only might give higher gain. The yagi would be for
receive only.

Having different receive and transmit antennas has benefits as well,
such as no switching loss and no need to protect my gaasfet during
transmit.

Can you offer any suggestions regarding the original question?

Thanks