Old March 9th 04, 01:54 PM
DeWayne

"Stinger" wrote in message
. ..

"DeWayne" wrote in message
Sangean's top of the line ATS-909/DX-398 is well known to have had

problems
with lock-ups. My question is, is Sangean still shipping brand new 909's
with these same problems that have been known about for years? The 909

is
not a 'cheap' radio. They sell for well over $200. I would be very
interested to know if anyone has purchased a recent brand new 909 with

any
of the well known problems they have had for several years. If Sangean

is
selling new defective radios, I would have to ask do most manufacturers

do
this? We have been discussing this topic in the DX-398 Yahoo group. One
person is having a real problem with his DX-398. He has not been getting
much help, even from Sangean. He has tried most of the common 'fixes'

but
without remedy. These are very popular radios and I hope someone has

some
info to help us out. And I would really like to know what, if anything,
Sangean has done to help us. Or is Sangean still selling defective

909's?
Thanks!

DeWayne

DeWayne, I've been reading that as well. That guy has a broken radio, and
doesn't seem to want to face the fact. But instead, wants some sort of
"magic" fix because the light comes on, but there isn't any sound, etc.

The
sooner he sends his radio off, the sooner he'll get it back.

If I remember correctly he has been looking for a place to send his DX-398
but hasn't found any.

First thing, the "lock-ups" are not "common." I've had a 909 for some

time
now, and have never had any problem at all (through a LOT of use).

However,
if one does occur, Sangean thoughtfully put a "reset" switch onboard to

fix
it. It works, but may reset your memories to European standard stations.
If that doesn't work, you don't have a lock-up -- plain and simple.

Another problem can occur if the radio is stored for an extended time with
low batteries, but that is easily fixed by taking out the batteries and
letting the radio sit for a day (so internal components discharge -- there
is a "power-user" way to do this, but it's beyond the reach of most

users --
just let it sit). This isn't a lock-up -- the symptom of this is when the
radio doesn't turn on at all.

Anyway, the Sangean 909 is a great portable radio, with a tried-and-true
design, and Sangean has a very good reputation for making quality radios.

Unfortunately, the bottom line is that you can idiot-proof anything, but
nature will create a better idiot.

Why would you call the guy an idiot because he's trying to get his radio
fixed? He was basically told that it probably wasn't worth fixing.

DeWayne

-- Stinger