Old March 9th 04, 06:11 PM
tommyknocker

Stinger wrote:

"DeWayne" wrote in message

If I remember correctly he has been looking for a place to send his DX-398
but hasn't found any.

Then you don't remember correctly.

The very first post in the Yahoo thread suggested that he call RadioLabs (a
very good repair facility in California) and talk with them about it. He
replied that he did phone them, and I'm sure they suggested that he try the
two procedures we discussed earlier in this post first, and if they didn't
work -- to send it in. After all, they ARE a repair facility! They fix
them at very reasonable prices.

Unfortunately, the bottom line is that you can idiot-proof anything, but
nature will create a better idiot.

Why would you call the guy an idiot because he's trying to get his radio
fixed? He was basically told that it probably wasn't worth fixing.

Actually, that point argued to the whole situation. He was basically told
that HE CAN'T FIX IT HIMSELF -- the "consumer" fixes have been tried, and
it's apparently a more serious problem with his radio. In addition to the
RadioLabs Repair advice, RHF posted and pointed out that Radio Shack repair
RMA instructions could be found in his DX398 manual. Exactly how many times
does he need to hear this?

I've watched you guys working yourselves into this hysteria, insinuating
that Sangean (who has a deservedly good reputation for their radio quality)
is knowingly shipping flawed radios, basically because this guy's radio went
on the fritz, and you can't find a button to push to fix it.

No offense intended, but that's just dumb.

-- Stinger

IMHO, I wouldn't bother to fix a radio that cost $200 new. Even if
RadioLabs has good prices (I don't know, I've never dealt with them) the
cost of fixing the radio would still be close to what it would cost to
buy a new one. If I'd gotten a few years good use out of it and it went
on the fritz I'd just junk it and get a Degen. OTOH, I've sent my Yaesu
to the Southern California Yaesu repair center twice, but only because
it's a very good radio despite the problems (a broken freq/clock switch
that happened when it was shipped to me from the guy who sold it to me,
and a bad resistor that I was told was a common problem with this radio)
and it cost a lot not only new but used-I traded a 2010 for it that I
purchased for $200 that came with its original box and accessories, a
radio that would probably go for twice that on ebay today (it was Made
in Japan). Also, every factory produces "lemons", they're simply a cost
of doing business. If this guy bought a bad Sangean, that doesn't mean
all Sangeans are bad, just that this guy bought a lemon.