Old March 10th 04, 06:08 AM
Frank Dresser

"tommyknocker" wrote in message

AFAIK only a few countries have dropped SW entirely, and they are the
ones that broadcast to a limited number of expatriates who are

generally
rich enough to afford satellite or internet. The BBC has explicitly
stated that it is interested only in a narrow slice of potential
listeners who all have satellite or internet. I don't know why

Deutsche
Welle quit English broadcasts, but their German service is still going
strong-I've logged them in German several times over the past couple
weeks.

Countries aren't budgeting as much money for International Broadcasting
as they did in the Cold War. I think one reason for the cutbacks is to
ration the useful life of their transmitters. If so, when the old
transmitters get too expensive to maintain, we'll see more countries
drop brodcasting entirely.

Frank Dresser