Old March 11th 04, 08:00 PM
Mark S. Holden

N8KDV wrote:

Aren't the viruses prone to attack certain email systems or operating platforms?

I'm really not a computer geek.

Most viruses go after Windoze, and almsot all look for Outlook or Outlook Express address books. Some also look for address books for other popular email programs.

Some just scan the hard drive looking for collections of email addresses, so everyone in your newsreader file can get a copy.

This is one reason why when I get those chain email hoaxes (email tracking, Little Tommy Smith has cancer of the ovaries...) I contact the sender and ask them to never send me another one again.

Mailwasher is a good way of avoiding viruses - I use it on all of my machines that check email, and delete stuff I don't want before it gets downloaded.