Old January 19th 05, 10:01 PM
Mike Coslo

Bob wrote:

The best thing to use to bury radials is a sidewalk edger, a gas or an
electric one.

"Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr." wrote in message

Hi John

No, because my late wife made me take the eyehook back out, resharpen
HER meat cleaver and sterilize it in boiling water.

Next time I'll buy my own meat cleaver and have a stainless steel tube
welded to the side of it, hi hi....

FWIW: It was the 10 inch long 5 inch deep cleaver, not counting the
handle. I think I would also have a flat steel plate welded to the
top so it doesn't tear up the rubber mallet so bad too.

I'm the nutter that bought and used a cheap electric chainsaw to bury
my radials. It was exceptionally easy to use. Simply start at the
antenna and drag the thing backwards. After that, I tucked in the
radials with my hands. I won't do that part again, I'll use some sort of
tool to push it in. Hundreds of feet of radial laying can wear the skin
off your hands.

The major effect on the chainsaw was to dull the chain, as you might
expect. THere was some mud in it also. The saw is out of commission
because I was an idiot and lost one of the parts when I cleaned it. But
under normal circumstances, no damage aside from the chain.

But when I get the thing back together, and in the spring, I will lay
some more radials as an experiment, and likely post pix of the operation
- along with the required warnings to never ever ever do that sort of
thing - on our website

- Mike KB3EIA -