Old March 15th 04, 12:04 AM
kamalakar pasupuleti

"Sanjaya" wrote in message hlink.net...
"Paul_Morphy" wrote...

"Sanjaya" wrote in message
news

Ok, thank you PM.
Can we tell anything about the performance of the PL-550 by knowing it
has the dual IFs?

I question the answer you got on Yahoo about 450- and 455-kHz IFs. That
doesn't make sense. You can't infer much from the fact that a receiver is
single or dual conversion. Dual conversion is generally a better route for a
consumer-grade receiver, but there have been more lousy dual-conversion
receivers than not! The low end of the market is very competitive, but
performance-wise, there probably isn't much variation at the price points.
If you're a serious listener you'll have to spend more to get more. There
will be reviews galore when this receiver hits the streets (I couldn't find
it on the mfr's website). If there were no reviews available and I had a
budget, I guess I'd pick the receiver that offered features I would find
most useful.

"PM"

Thanks again!

The purpose of dual conversion is for better
image rejection , improved selectivity and sensitivity .The first IF
is around
1.5 kc and the second IF usually low around 50 kc for better
amplification. Most of the good dual conversion receivers employ
atleast 2 stages of IF amplification at both levels and also provide
sensitivity or RF gain control.

Kam