Old March 15th 04, 05:45 AM
starman

tommyknocker wrote:

Juliette was one of many "American sounding" names used by Japanese
electronics manufacturers even into the 70s. It seems to me that the
name "Juliette" was mostly used in the late 60s and early 70s, and that
they mostly made clock radios. When I was a kid I had a Juliette clock
radio, one of the predigital ones that used numbers on wheels instead of
actual LCDs or nixies to achieve a "digital" look. It lit up orange at
night instead of red, and was pretty cool. I've seen several other clock
radios made by Juliette, as well as an AM radio or two. They were
cheapies that got thrown out as they got old, just like the rest of the
"lunchbox" type radios of that era-they didn't get kept like 50s
transistor radios did because they didn't have that aura of being first.

I had a portable Juliette reel to reel tape recorder. It had a nice
wooden case with an all metal chassis. I think I paid about $50 for it
in the late 60's. I still have many recordings of the Apollo moon
missions made with that recorder.