Old March 16th 04, 10:46 PM
N8KDV

helmsman wrote:

tommyknocker wrote:

WA4009SWL wrote:

A04 registration shows very low activity via Almaty site:

My guess is that it's getting increasingly difficult to maintain the old
Soviet made transmitters-I doubt many replacement parts besides tubes
are available. (Last time I checked Svetlana still made tubes for the
old Soviet tx's.) They're probably cannibalizing parts from dead
transmitters to keep the working ones alive. My guess is that most of
the old Soviet transmitters that were used to blanket the airwaves with
propaganda during the glory days of communism will die for good within
the next few years, and with them will go stations like Radio Ukraine
(old Radio Kiev) and the various former Warsaw Pact stations.

That will truley be a shame.

Both Kazakhstan, Ukraine and many of the former Soviet Bloc Republics have
transmitters which are of fairly recent vintage, dating from the late 70's up
into the 90's.

I'm sure they'll be with us for some time yet to come.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm