Old March 18th 04, 12:40 AM
Tony Meloche

King Pineapple wrote:

"Fred" wrote in message
om...
I have read that SW is really only good in the North East of the USA
and in Europe.

Not correct. Those are the places where you can get SW with a cheap radio.
You'll be able to get plenty in Kansas, but not with a $12 radio. If you
decide to get serious, spend a couple of hundred dollars on a decent
portable. Your location is good for getting stuff from your south, for
example (Central and South America and the Caribbean), and you should be
able to get a decent number of stations from Europe as well.

Craig, WPE1HNS

I basically agree. I get excellent results in Michigan, and in the
world of SW, there is precious little difference between Michigan USA
and Kansas, USA.
But Craig makes a good point. You won't hear much on a $12 radio, and
even a great antenna setup wouldn't help it much - just overload it with
the strongest signals. With careful shopping, for about $125 you can get
a good portable and a 25 - 50' length of wire hooked to it might amaze
you with what you can get (as opposed to the jWin). But I'd stay in
that price range unless and until you are sure you want to continue with
the hobby.

Tony