Old March 18th 04, 01:37 AM
Fred

Among other places.. I read on the Passport to world band radio site:
http://www.passband.com/

"Location. Signals tend to be strongest in and around Europe, next-strongest
in eastern North America. Elsewhere in the Americas, or in Hawaii or
Australasia, you'll need a receiver that's unusually sensitive to weak
signals.."

The key phrase that jumps out to me is " unusually sensitive to weak
signals" which would seem to me that I am in a bad area for SW and that I
will need a high end "Unusual radio" to actually get anything...

"James Bernhardt" wrote in message
with the right antenna setup you can pick up shortwave anywhere. Actually

in
Kansas you probably will get a better signals. Who told you this?
"Fred" wrote in message
om...
I have read that SW is really only good in the North East of the USA
and in Europe.

I am in Kansas, does this mean I will need super high
quailty/expensive equipment if I want to listen to SW?

I just ordered the jWIN - JX-M14 el-cheapo $12 radio to try and get an
idea of what I can hear...

I guess I thought SW was available everywhere, even to me out in the
boonies of Kansas..

Thanks!!