Old March 19th 04, 04:45 AM
Paul_Morphy

"Maximus" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I made a battery system to use with my DX394. It makes a small difference

in
atmospherics, but did me no good as far as computer generated rf in the
area. It is a good thing to have when the lights go out s. 25 feet high

is
great. You could even use more than 75 feet as long as you find that the
receiver isn't overwhelmed by the signals. Have a good time listening, and
share with us

Depending on where the hash is escaping from, you may be able to reduce it
with Radio Shack choke cores, the rectangular kind that snap open to reveal
two u-shaped pieces of ferrite material, or the cylindrical ones that clamp
over a cable. They are expensive, though. T200-50 iron-powder toroidal cores
from Amidon Associates or dealers will work, too, if the connector will fit
through the hole. You wrap the wire through the core, as many turns as will
fit.

I've been listening to amateur radio PSK-31 transmissions and had a major
hash problem because the headphone jack of my radio connects to the sound
card line input jack. I used a rectangular core on either end of the audio
cable, and slipped a cylindrical one over the antenna cable (coaxial) to the
receiver, although that one didn't do much. The ones on the audio cable
accomplished a lot. Unfortunately, the computer radiates spurious signals,
and I haven't tackled that problem yet. More cores are in the future, I
think. If you're using a wall-wart power supply, a smaller toroid for the
power cable, installed at the radio end, will help.

If you think it's bad now, wait until your power company starts selling BPL
Internet access.

"PM"