Old March 20th 04, 05:40 AM
Erik Chait

I'm glad there is more people like me out there. I will eventually get
satellite radio for my car, but I will always prefer shortwave radio.

Erik

"Paul_Morphy" wrote in message

"S R" wrote in message

I guess for a city person as myself, I dream to someday live up on a
mountain and have the whole horizon to listen to.

Yes, the bug has bitten deep into you, and it will never let go. After
almost 50 years I just can't stay away from the SW bands. Part of the

bug's
venom is the thrill of digging a signal out of the fading, noise and
clutter, and the days when some distant station you never heard before
suddenly shows up in the passband. Satellite broadcasting brings you the
content, but not the medium. For most die-hard SWLs, the medium is the
attraction; the content is only the reward at the end of the journey.

Better
equipment and listening locations will only benefit those who take time to
learn the patience and skills. For them, the view from the top is
breathtaking, because they participated in the climb. Satellite listening

is
less exciting than watching someone reading a newspaper.

"PM"