Old March 20th 04, 09:22 AM
RHF

RH,

The Miracle Whip Antenna is a 'nice idea' but you could do
better for the money and have greater flexibility in your
Antenna Options.
MWA= http://www.miracleantenna.com/MiracleWhip.html

Vice the Miracle Whip Antenna consider:

MFJ-956 {Passive} Pre-Selector -&- Antenna Tuner greatly
improves reception from 150 kHz to 30 MHz (especially
below 2 MHz). The MFJ-956 has Tuner, Bypass and Ground;
Antenna to Receiver positions. Use the MFJ-956 with an
InDoor or OutSide Random Wire or Loop Antenna.
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...prodid=MFJ-956

MFJ-1045 Receiver Pre-Selector for the Shortwave Bands 1.8 MHz
to 54 MHz. This Active Pre-Selector amplifies weak signals and
helps to Reject out-of-band signals and images. The MFJ-1045
has variable RF Gain up to 20 dB. Pre-Amplifier has a Dual Gate
MOSFET, bipolar transistors for low noise, high gain. The MFJ-1045
External Connections for 2 Antennas, 2 Receivers for both Coax
SO-239 Jacks and RCA Phone Jacks. Also has a ON-OFF/By-Pass
Switch for 'direct' Antenna to Receiver Hook-Up. Use the
MFJ-0145 with an InDoor or OutSide Random Wire or Loop Antenna.
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...odid=MFJ-1045C

MFJ-1020 InDoor Active Antenna for both the AM/MW Band and the
Shortwave Bands. (Covers 300 kHz to 40 MHz in five bands.)
Has a built-in 20 inch (50 cm) telescopic antenna. Plus an
auxiliary SO-239 Antenna Jack is provided. When using an
External Antenna, the MFJ-1020 functions as a Pre-Selector.
The MFJ-1020 front controls include: RF Gain, Band Selector,
Tune and ON/OFF-By-Pass. The MFJ-1020 also has a wing-nut
for a separate Ground Connection on the rear panel. Use the
MFJ-1020 with the builtin WhipAntenna or use an InDoor or
OutSide Random Wire or Loop Antenna.
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...odid=MFJ-1020C
..
..
REMEMBER: "The AM/MW and Shortwave Antenna is 55.5% . . .
of the Radio/Receiver and Antenna/Ground Reception Equation"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/288
A Shortwave Antenna is "Equally" Important for Good Reception [.]
..
..
iane ~ RHF
..
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night...
You Can Hear Forever and Beyond - The Beyond !
..
..
= = = "Radiohead" wrote in message
= = = ...

"Dave Holford" wrote in message

Radiohead wrote:

I am a relative newbie to the world of SW.

I've just taken possession of a second-hand Kenwood R5000 comms

receiver. It
looks like a very nice piece of kit. It's not really practical for me to

rig
an outside antenna system at the moment, but I have heard that you can

get
SW antennas designed for indoor use. Can anyone recommend any? I am in

the
UK.

And if anyone has any thoughts on the R5000, feel free.

I used one for some time in an antenna restricted area and had very good
results with both DATONG AD-370 and DRESSLER ARA-30 active antennas
mounted in the attic.

There are some terrible junk gadgets sold as active antennas but these
have been so good to me that they are now mounted outdoors and are
coming up on 20years continuous service.

The DATONG is a dipole configuration and DATONG makes some really good
stuff but appear to have moved to the professional surveillance field so
I don't know if their antennas are still available at a good price. They
are a UK company so you might look around.

The DRESSLER is a short fireglas whip and a quick check shows DRESSLER
active antennas at www.hamradio.co.uk and several other sites; although
the ARA-30 is probably not available any more, the ARA-40 and ARA-60
appear to be more modern versions.

I have had many years of enjoyment with my R-5000 and those antennas.

Hi Dave

I had a look at www.hamradio.co.uk and read about the Dresslers, which look
good. I then found that the dealer (Martin Lynch) is located quite near to
my house, which is very convenient!

I phoned him up to see if he had any Dresslers in stock. He does, but
interestingly he recommended another antenna which he thought would be
better for my purposes - the Miracle Whip. He also stocks them.

They seem really good - easy to connect and don't require any power supply.
Have you or anyone else had any experience with these?