Old March 20th 04, 12:59 PM
tj

73 failed because of the "dumbing down" of ham radio. I started
subscribing to 73 and Ham Radio, remember that one, because of their
TECHNICAL content and projects. I look through my late 70s and 80s
issues and they are just full of projects.
Yes, Wayne was full of himself. Tho sometimes he said things againest
the arrl that needed saying, causing food for thought.
What killed 73 was solid state "sealed" rigs that could not be modified
and the manufacturing of full featured radios cheap by yesterdays
standards making homebrewing economically unreasonable. Why do you think
Heath, Echo and other kit manufactures closed. Back in those days all
rigs had huge wiring harnesses that HAD to be hand soldered. Real labor
intensive. Labor costs now with solid state and "computer" type boards
is actually the least of the manufacturing cost. A complete turn around
from the '70s & '80s time frame.
Hams, for the most part, quit building and experimenting. So 73's and
Ham Radio's meat and potatoes disappeared.

Dave Bushong wrote:
Sedina II wrote:

Wayne Green W2NSD the editor of the former 73 Magazine
and David Booth (2004 Earth Changes) will be George Noorey's
special guest on Coast to Coast AM
Thursday/Friday evening.

On a 1 to 10 scale this show should be a 12 !!

Show info for the above:
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/shows/2004/03/18.html

Main: http://www.coasttocoastam.com/

See also: http://www.whatdoesitmean.com/

Wayne Green. Loser extrordinaire. Failed more ham radio businesses and
magazines than anyone in human history.

I don't want to pay to listen to him, unless I'm writing a book about
"good examples of a bad example".