Old March 22nd 04, 03:34 AM
Corbin Ray

I took French and Spanish in college, and I failed both miserably. I could
usually decipher a small amount of meaning from some simple written phrases,
but it was just impossible for my brain to extract anything from spoken
conversational French or Spanish. If I heard something like "heartache", my
mind would process that word as "har dake" and then it would start trying to
remember the meaning of "har" and the meaning of "dake". It was a horribly
embarrassing experience for me. Still, many nights, I would still sit by my
radio, listening intently to French or Spanish stations, hoping to be able
to understand what I heard. Twenty years later, it remains a totally
impossible effort for my feeble mind..

I really commend anyone who can speak and understand more than one language.
Nice job!