Old March 22nd 04, 08:46 PM
Pierre L

I wouldn't pretend to be an expert, but I have owned and regularly used a
number of analog and digitally-tuned shortwave receivers since the 1960's.

I sure like the Grundig S350 version of this radio. The one I have has the
newer power-on switch with defeatable timer on it. I don't know about the
drifting improvement, but it doesn't seem to drift very much.

I have to say, as a person who likes analog tuning, this is by far the best
analog portable shortwave receiver I've ever owned in terms of performance,
and it's my number one favourite of ANY radio I have had and still have
(I've only owned portables though). It really pulls in the shortwave
stations just from the telescopic antenna where I live (eastern central
Canada), as well or better than the higher-end digitally-tuned radios I've
owned. I find myself able to listen to stations for hours that I could only
get for a short while before. It's also wonderful on regular AM and FM
bands. I absolutely love the way it marries analog tuning with a digital
frequency display, and the way the tuning dial has both fast and a fine
tuning. And unlike any portable I've ever had except my early 70's Grundig,
the audio is full and deep, just about like the Grundigs of old, with
separate bass and treble controls, plus the two bandwidths, LPF and RF gain
buttons/dials really help tuning shortwave stations to best advantage.

And if that's not enough, although the buttons are light plastic, they are
solidly-mounted, and the whole radio feels like the most solidly-built one
I've seen so far from China. The antenna alone feels like it's on a radio 10
times the price, and, compared to the one on a Sat 800, its base is rock
solid. It has a solid cabinet that appears very well put together, with
everything a precise fit. For the price, this is one terrific radio, without
a cheap feel to it at all - and this is completely the opposite of what I
expected.

If you can live without punch-in tuning and digital tuning conveniences like
automatic band scanning, pre-sets, SSB, etc., and I certainly can, this is a
great radio. Nice size too. Not too small, not too big.

Did I say I love it? Let me count the ways! I know it's really a Tecsun, but
what American or European brand of anything electronic is really what the
brand says these days. To me, it feels totally like I own a nice Grundig
again, like I did in the 1970's. I got mine at Radio Shack, and as I said,
while the model they had on display didn't have the new power switch, the
one in the box sure did. If you buy it from China on ebay, you have to wait
a while until it arrives, the shipping isn't exactly cheap, plus you don't
get the guarantee and support that Eton/Grundig provides.

By the way, I think that for those of us who are longtime Grundig fans, it's
terrific that Eton keeps the Grundig name alive in shortwave receivers like
this. Those of you who have been here a while may recall that I wasn't at
all impressed with the Sat 800 I had a couple of years ago (maybe they are
better now, don't know), and I didn't mince words about it on here. I don't
like what I don't like, but if I say I like something, I really like it.

Pete

"kamalakar pasupuleti" wrote in message
om...
I am looking for a feedback on the performance of Tecsun BCL 2000
from someone who owns it and experimented it's SW ability .

Thanks ,
Kam