Old March 23rd 04, 01:20 AM
Jacob Norlund

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 22:34:28 -0500, Philip Campbell wrote:

I am looking to buy a DX-398 and was wondering if this unit has better
reception than an ATS-505? I listen most to MW, but I wanted to get into
some SWL. I am new to swl.

thanks

Hello. Welcome to the hobby. (I don't think I've posted here, since, oh,
1999!). Personally, I think the radio for you would be a Sony ICF2010.
Great reception, perfect size for base use but still "portable", decent
audio. Reputed to be one of the best DXing portables out there. It also
comes with a short random wire (I think that's what it's called) antenna,
a smart inclusion that boosts signals (all you do is plug one side to the
radio and clip the other to a tree, etc.). Also receives AM, FM,
longwave, and the VHF aircraft band (you can here your local planes on
it). I live in what is known to be the not-so-best reception area
(northern midwest), yet I've found it good for pulling some interesting
signals out of the air.

Enjoy the hobby!