Old March 25th 04, 06:46 PM
Dan

In article v6O7c.61320$JL2.805657@attbi_s03,
"Brian Denley" wrote:

You find it superior because it costs less? I tried one for three days and
found it to be a rather cheap feeling radio with VERY pedestrian
performance. The price means nothing to me if the performance isn't
decent...and it wasn't.

I would have to say that you had a lemon. I just received a Kaito
KA1102 (same radio), and it's performance is really quite amazing.

Now before you think "he has no experience", let me say that I also have
an original Drake R8, a Grundig Satellit 650, a Radio Shack DX-440 and
several antique tube receivers.

The 1102 is a great compact portable, that really excels when using
headphones. It's general performance is equal to the DX-440, but of
course the DX-440 sounds better thru it's speaker, which is to be
expected. Thru headphones they are nearly identical.

Keep in mind the DX-440 weighs about 5 pounds including it's 6 "D"
batteries, is about 3 times bigger, and cost $150 when new. The 1102
was $80 including shipping.

It's a great addition to a collection, and IMO can't be beat as a travel
portable.

Dan