Old March 26th 04, 08:23 AM
justtis

Default Kenwood 5000...Symptoms

Finally pulled my '5000 out of storage to have another look at it.
Still looks the same but sadly still works the same as the day it was put in
storage two years ago. Sounds like a PLL problem?
Here are the symptoms:
It sounded kind of like a hissy crackle on top of the voice, and could
be heard in both FM and AM modes.
On sideband (upper or lower) the voice was also distorted. This added
feature came and went intermitently for the last day, then nothing. It
died, leaving dots where the frequency readout should have been. The
battery reads 3.5 volts(ok), and the clocks are working just fine.
Pressing LSB,USB, CW, AM & FM, changes the modes but still no reception.
However there is a kind of rushing noise in FM mode. When you push the CW
key(going from FM mode) a very brief crackle can be heard then nothing.
I also noticed that the radio seemed to be running quite warm before it
quit but maybe this is normal for a Kenwood. Maybe the power supply?
Just thought I'd post these symptoms in the group hoping that some of the
answers will help those with similar problems.
Anyway thanks for your time.