Old March 26th 04, 06:20 PM
the captain

did you upgrade the internal speaker or use a good external one for
the audio ?

I asked about a modified one and you complain that the selectivity is
bad without a replacement.

you are not giving me the information I need,

Can't anyone out there give good useful information.

I asked about a PROPERLY modified 394, I don't care if the stock unit
is no good. the stock R-5000 IS NO GOOD according to Ranier Liechte
and Larry Magne yet people on this group praise the radio. it needs to
have the upgraded AM filter.

I had a DX-398, did not like it at all, it has no sensitivity and
sounds cheesy.

I'd rather have a DX398 portable than the DX394. Even with all the
mods I could find it was still a poor radio. The memory scheme is
completely stupid, there is awful IF bleed-through, it has lousy
selectivity without replacement filters, and the audio is only
tolerable.