Old March 27th 04, 02:16 PM
starman

BCcubed wrote:

Hello,

I listen on a SAT 700 and want to try and catch more DX in the SW bands. I am
told that if I put too much wire on it I can damage the radio due to the fact
that it has no dynamic control. Is there a device I could buy that would allow
me to put a longwire up and then regulate how much signal the receiver is fed?
Does this even make sense?

Thanks,

neil

To much signal strength from the antenna won't damage the radio but it
might cause overloading problems known as intermodulation or intermod's.
This happens when the dynamic range of the receiver is not sufficient to
handle very strong signals, which can happen with a long antenna. The
symptom of overloading is hearing many spurious signals on frequencies
and bands where they don't belong. For example, you might hear an
international broadcaster on a frequency which they are not actually
using and is not located in an international band. The solution is
either to make the antenna shorter until you don't hear these intermod's
or use a passive preselector between the antenna and receiver to tune
out the spurious signals. The latter method is preferred because you
won't loose much sensitivity to weak signals when using a preselector.