Old March 27th 04, 06:33 PM
Frank Dresser

"N8KDV" wrote in message

Frank Dresser wrote:

"helmsman" wrote in message

That's the problem, no matter how productive you are, if someone else
can do it cheaper "without price supports" or better then we loose.

I'm not sure I understand. How do we lose if someone else can produce

sugar
cheaper than we in the US can?

How do we lose? Well, the less expensive sugar cannot be imported into the

US.
Therefore, businesses such as LifeSavers have opted to leave the US for

other
places (such as Canada) where sugar is less expensive.

I think we agree on this one. The only winners in the sugar subsidy program
are the US sugar farmers. Everyone else loses.

So, the US sugar producers lose because they are not selling sugar to a

business
here, and at the same time our manufacturing base leaves.

There's no need for well connected US sugar producers to lose. The
government could buy up the entire surplus sugar crop every year at an
inflated price, even if there's no longer any US candy/baking industry.

Frank Dresser