Old March 28th 04, 05:11 PM
Stinger

Not a manual reader, are you Tommyknocker? Heh, me either -- but I did pick
this up...

The light comes on when a button is pressed and the light sensor senses
darkness. The light sensor is in one of the little holes in the top right
of the speaker grille.

It will stay on if you plug in your A/C adapter while the light is on.

-- Stinger

"tommyknocker" wrote in message
I've been playing around with my Degen 1102 for a day or so, and here
are my opinions: It has good sensitivity but it has a tinny sounding
speaker. It sounds like the cheap transistor radio you had as a kid. The
blue backlight is cool looking, and it lights up the buttons too, but it
doesn't seem to come on reliably and it entails a rather difficult
button pressing procedure to get it to come on-there's no "light"
button. The batteries it comes with are rechargeable type, and it takes
five hours to charge them since they don't have any juice out of the
box, so I said the hell with them and went down to the grocery store and
bought regular alkalines, which work fine. The AC adaptor is a 220v/50hz
but has a plug identical to the US 120v/60hz plug, which could be
dangerous if somebody in the US buys it and just plugs it in without the
supplied power converter. The manual is reasonably well translated,
although it tends to slip into incomprehensible "Engrish" (see
engrish.com) every so often. It came with a little card saying that it
was made on 1-10-04, which is an impressive turnaround time considering
that it was sent on March 19. It was sent from Hong Kong and acording to
the stamps it cost $121.10 in Hong Kong dollars to send-the stamps are
pretty, BTW. The return address was stamped on the envelope and the ink
is all smeared so I can't read it. All in all, a rather nice radio but a
little too complicated to work-it has five different ways to tune it and
a complicated way to turn off the 99 minute sleep timer, in addition to
the aforementioned light. It also has a crappy speaker. But it's a good
value for $50.