Old March 31st 04, 07:34 AM
Gray Shockley

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 21:05:08 -0600, Jazzy wrote
(in message ):

Hi ,
I live in Southern NJ and like to listen to sports talk WIP 610 am .

Is this a local station to you? And are there utility stations near you? 610
is pretty close to "band's end".

My
problem is that about a month ago , at
about 7 every night( for hours) I get loud , blasting sounds for about 30
seconds straight at least every 5 minutes.

Okay, so you've got something "cycling".

It sounds like someone is using a
power tool and it is interfering with the reception. Could that be it?

Extremely unlikely. I can't think of any tool used for anything that would
cycle like that.

Can it be my neighbor working on something every night?

Basically, no.

It sounds like when I
turn on certain lights in my house when am radio is on and it interferes.

Yup; it sounds as if it's pretty standard RFI (radio frequency interference)
and you're going to have to track it down if you want to get rid of it.

Just had to post this, this is terrible , it has taken my nightly listening
away. What could it be?

[A streetlight but I'm not authorized to tell you that yet.]

You're going to need a portable radio which can run on batteries and,
probably a flashlight.

You're actually fortunate with the problem lasting 5 minutes and it being so
regular.

Locate all house/apartment/whatever fuses and circuit breakers (my last house
had four separate boxes - UGH!) and make sure you know which way to flip them
off.

So, the 1st night, turn on your radio (running off batteries) and listen for
the first period of interference and get your radio and flashlight ready
because - when the next period of RFI hits - you're going to be scampering
around and flipping switches.

When the second interference begins, leave your radio in the same place and
cut off every single one - all of them.

If the noise is still there, you are now a "victim" and you may make a "made
for TV movie" and sell it to "Lifetime".

[If you don't live in a neighberhood with streetlights, I'm fixin' to be
really wrong.]

You have streetlights, yes? Good; in all liklihood, that is the source of
your problems (could also be a transformer but I'm guessing at a lamp
re-cycling).

So, the second night, walk around your area outside with the radio running on
batteries (right after the interference has started). Depending on what kind
of area you're in, you might need to use a couple of those 5-minute persiods.

If none of this works, then you need to keep a log, noting what type the
streetlights come one and /exactly/ when the interference is present and go
from there.

Thanks,
Jazz

Hope this is of some help. /gray//