Old March 31st 04, 03:40 PM
David

Australia is on 9580 before 6 AM and 21 something in the afternoons.

BBC is on 9740 mornings

New Zealand is on 17675 evenings

R. Netherlands use to have a West Coast feed.

International Shortwave Broadcasting to the USA is pretty much dead,
however. Only a few hobbyists still use the radios. Serious
listeners use the internet and/or satellites.

That radio works real well for listening to the many 50 kW AM stations
all over the West.

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 06:31:11 -0600, w wrote:

Wow, I'm just getting back into listening to shortwave radio after being
out of it for quite a few years. I had a crap (and I do mean crap)
Magnavox "boom box" that had shortwave on it years ago (1988?) and I
remember the utter joy I held, living in the Midwest, listening to Radio
Australia (Boomerang!) and the BBC World Service.

1996 came and I moved down south just a little bit, and I got some great
reception near the Smoky Mountains with my DX-390. I was listening to
the BBC the night Diana was killed and that's how I got the announcement
before CNN did.

I just got an ICF-7600GR and I'm disappointed. Not in the radio itself
which is a fine piece of craftsmanship (for the money) but because all
the stuff I used to listen to is just bloody well GONE. BBC, Radio
Australia, and Deutche Welle no longer broadcast SW to the Americas.
Only that satellite crap. Thank goodness Russia still seems to have
America targeted broadcasts. Hell, even VOA isn't broadcasting
domestically! What gives?

I'll be open and frank. I'm in San Diego. Is there anything to listen
to anymore in English that I can actually get out here? I have the wire
antenna that came with the radio and I live in a first floor apartment
that was built in the 70s or 80s. I can't invest too much more in a new
antenna. Maybe $50 TOPS. And I can't mount anything outside... as I
live in an apartment. Bedroom window faces south and a street. Living
room window faces north and directly across is another 2 story building.
I'm not very far from MCAS Miramar so there's some open sky around here
with low buildings, nothing too tall.

Is this hopeless? I miss relaxing at night, listening to stuff from
around the world.