Old April 1st 04, 05:01 PM
Al Arduengo

Default 909 on a 12V jumpstarter

I just wanted to share my latest activities. I hate using the ac
adapter due to noise and I also hate the fact that it would only get
about 20 hours of use on a set of 4 batteries. So I took it apart,
soldered to wires to the pos/neg terminals of the battery compartment
and an connecter on the other ends. I bought a 10aH Coleman jumpstart
compact power supply at Radio Shack and a 6V DC-DC convertor. Now I can
run my 909 for quite a while off a single charge with no electrical
noise I formerly got. Used to when I plugged my cell phone into its
charger I was overwhelmed by noise. Same with ceiling fan, laptop use
etc. Last night with the new DC supply took care of all of that. Now I
just need to make a mod to the backlight so it will stay on constantly.
I might also put different LEDs in to brighten the display a bit. I
think I will also figure out how to eliminate the stepping on the tuning
knob. It is annoying to me. Does anyone know if this will have an
adverse effect on anything?

Lessons learned so far:

Do NOT place a 12V-6V supply in parallel with *rechargeable* NiMH AAs.
The AAs get mighty hot. :-/ Alkalines will be fine. This way I can
still use the AAs if I want but don't have to remove/replace them.

There is little room in the case of the 909 for additional stuff. I had
to run the added wires into the battery compartment and out a small hole
drilled in the battery compartment cover. Tight fit.

Clear Skies and 73,
-Al