Old April 1st 04, 06:27 PM
Frank Dresser

"RHF" wrote in message
om...
FD,

The majority of the 'original' PROGRESSIVES were Republicans at
the turn of the last century (1900). The Progressives were for
"Good and Honest" Government, not 'bigger' government.

Yeah, it's true that most of the original progressives were Republicans, but
there's no way it can be said they weren't for bigger government. The food
and drug laws (including the drug bans) were bigger government. The
anti-trust laws were bigger government. The land set asides for national
parks were bigger government. The social welfare programs were bigger
government.

This government expansion may or may not have been good policy, but it
certainly was expansion.

Teddy Roosevelt was one of the most notable of them.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/presidents/tr26.html

~ RHF
.
.

"We are insane, each in our own way, and with insanity goes
irresponsibility. Theodore the man is sane; in fairness we ought to keep in
mind that Theodore, as statesman and politician, is insane and
irresponsible."
Mark Twain

http://www.twainquotes.com/Roosevelt.html

Or HL Mencken said something like "Roosevelt didn't believe in Democracy, he
simply believed in Government."

Frank Dresser

Frank Dresser