Old April 4th 04, 06:44 AM
starman

Al Arduengo wrote:

Carl - w5su writes:

snip
I'd opt for a 108" steel whip plus a small antenna tuner at the end of
the coax by the radio.

Where in te heck are these 108" whips? I would like to get it local
instead of waiting for mail but all there seems to be are up to 39"
whips for CBs.

Now, back to the noise problem...

snip

Out of curiosity, why doesn't this noise show up on my FM/AM that the
truck already has? Is it that the noise and its' harmonics lie in
the same band as sw?

I really need to break out the old college books and refresh my rf
theory.

You got a good answer from Peter so I'll just add that the receiver
matters too for mobile operation. I don't think you told us what
receiver you're using in the truck. I use a Drake-SW8 in my car with the
external whip antenna on the roof. The SW8 has a metal case which gives
better noise shielding than the plastic case of a portable. The sync'
detector is also a plus. I connect the audio from the SW8 to the car's
stereo system which makes it a lot easier to hear. If you're really
serious about shortwave in the truck consider upgrading your receiver
too.